- 1 small onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. canned diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 14 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 19 oz. can of lentils drained (3/4 cup dry lentils boiled until soft)
- Peel and chop onion. Set aside.
- Seed and chop green pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened (around 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir flour with seasonings.
- Stir seasoning mixture into the softened onions. Continue stirring for 2 minutes. Add a bit of water if it starts to stick to the pot.
- Stir in tomato sauce, lentils, green peppers, and chilies. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Partially cover and reduce heat so mixture simmers. Stir often and cook for about 15 minutes. (cook longer if you would like the flavors to develop some more)
- Serve with rice and some chopped cilantro sprinkled on top.
if you have a healthy recipe, send it to email@example.com